Spring Break Safety
Safety on the Road:
- Before getting on the road, remember to perform routine maintenance on your vehicle.
- Plan ahead! Avoid going to ATMs or gas stations at night, if possible. Keep all debit/credit cards in a safe place.
- Instead of carrying large sums of cash, use a debit/credit card. Some cards insure property purchased with these cards against lost, theft, or damage.
- Let someone know what route you will be taking to your destination; let them know where you final destination will be; let them know who you are with, how long you will be there, etc.
- Keep gas tank more than 1/2 full at all times.
- Avoid driving distractions, such as eating, texting, or being on social media.
- If you find yourself in immediate danger, dial 911!
With a Drink:
- Legal drinking age in the state of Louisiana is 21. If you decide to drink, remember to eat, pace yourself, and set reasonable limits.
- Remember to stay hydrated by drink plenty of water. This is especially important in the sun, which maximizes the effects of alcohol on the body.
- Do NOT accept drinks from people that you do not know!
Out and About:
- Stay with friends at all times. If you leave with your friends, come home with your friends!
- Always know where you are, where you are going, and how to get back to your hotel/condo.
- Know your surroundings and know where to get help if you need it.