Undergraduate Academics 

Program Requirements

Once you're an LSU student, you'll need to meet the requirements below to continue pursuing this major.

  • 24 hours of credit in 1000-level courses or higher
  • 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • grade of “C” or better in MATH 1550

Professional Licensure and Certification

Licensure as a Professional Engineer is available for undergraduate students majoring in civil engineering and environmental engineering and is achieved in two steps, namely Engineer-In-Training and then Professional Engineer. However, our program does not directly lead to such licensure or certification upon graduation. As an ABET-accredited program, the professional preparation you receive in our programs meets the educational requirements for licensure as a Professional Engineer, therefore it should assist you in such pursuits. However, the licensing authority and requirements for Professional Engineers falls under the jurisdiction of the licensing board for the state, territory, or foreign entity in which you practice. For example, engineering licensure in Louisiana is governed by the Louisiana Professional Engineering and Land Surveying (LAPELS) Board. If you intend to pursue such credentialing in your state or elsewhere, we strongly advise you to contact the applicable state credentialing authority to familiarize yourself with its specific requirements. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact Dr. Suresh Moorthy (moorthy@lsu.edu) with questions in this regard, and we will do our best to assist you in your career planning.

My Complaint Wasn’t Resolved by LSU

In the event that you have exhausted all informal and formal procedures through LSU at the institutional level, you may submit a written complaint to the Louisiana Board of Regents or to SACSCOC. They will attempt to facilitate a resolution. See below for details:

Students can file a complaint (after going through the grievance policies of the institution) with SACSCOC using the following form sent via ground mail to:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033-4097

They may also contact the state authorization agency (if he/she is a distance education student and unable to resolve the complaint through the grievance policies of the institution) using the following form at:

Louisiana Board of Regents
P.O. Box 3677
Baton Rouge, LA
ATTN: SARA Student Complaints