The Coastal Marine Institute at Louisiana State University coordinates university research in response to federal and state information needs regarding Outer Continental Shelf development of the oil and gas industry. Established in 1992, the CMI at LSU operates under a cooperative agreement between the State of Louisiana and Federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, or BOEM, a branch of the Department of the Interior.
Research areas include:
- environmental aspects of technologies for extracting and transporting non-energy resources;
- environmental response to changing energy extraction and transport technologies;
- analyses and synthesis of existing data/information from previous studies;
- modeling of environmental, social, and economic processes and systems;
- new information about the structure/function of affected systems via application of descriptive and experimental means;
- projects that improve the application and distribution of multi-source information.