Frequently Asked Questions

Mental Health Service is located on the second floor of the LSU Student Health Center (SHC). For a map of our location, click here. The SHC is across from the Music building and next to Newk’s Eatery. Parking passes are available to park in the SHC parking directly in front of the building.

All currently enrolled LSU students are eligible to receive our services. During an Initial Consultation, a Mental Health Service (MHS) therapist will assess a student’s individual needs and discuss recommendations for treatment. These may include consideration for MHS services and/or referral to community health providers.

Appointments can be made in person by coming to the Mental Health Service or by calling 225-578-8774.

If a problem arises after business hours or on the weekends, call the PHONE (24/7) 225-924-5781. In the case of a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 immediately.

LSU CARES is a University initiative dedicated to the well-being of students and promotion of a community that cares about each of its members. To learn more or to report a student of concern, please contact LSU CARES at 225 578-4307.

Care report

Mental Health Service (MHS) takes student privacy and confidentiality seriously.  Our records are separate from your academic records and cannot be released without your permission.  There are exceptions to confidentiality:

  1. If you are likely to harm yourself or others unless protective measures are taken.
  2. If you lack the capacity to care for yourself.
  3. When there is reasonable suspicion of abuse of children, dependent adults or the elderly.
  4. When there is a valid court order for disclosure of client files.

Students who have never been formally assessed for ADHD or been established with a medical provider for medication management are advised to seek evaluation at the LSU Psychological Services Center or consult with Mental Health Service (MHS) staff regarding referral to an off-campus provider.

With appropriate documentation, a student may continue/refill their medication through the Student Health Center (SHC) - Medical Clinic.

  1. Students must provide documentation of (a) formal assessment and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) diagnosis by a mental health professional, or (b) a history of established care by a medical provider. A copy of their assessment report or adequate medical records must be submitted to the SHC. 
  2. An evaluation appointment may be required at Mental Health Service to review records and assess individual needs prior to transferring medication management to the SHC-Medical Clinic. Your provider may recommend a re-evaluation after 2-3 years.
  3. Students who access medication management for ADHD in the SHC-Medical Clinic should make every effort to work with the same provider during each visit. Further, students must adhere to SHC policies regarding the responsible use of stimulant medications, which are considered Schedule II controlled substances. Medication should be taken as directed by your medical provider and never shared with others. 

Students who have paid the Student Health Fee are eligible to receive counseling in Mental Health Service with no additional charge. Failing to cancel an appointment with at least a 24hr notice will result in a $20 “no show” charge. There are fees for psychiatric care; insurance can be billed.

Your counselor may be a psychologist, licensed professional, social worker, or a graduate level intern/trainee.  All trainees will be supervised by licensed staff members.

Because email is not a secure confidential form of communication, Mental Health Service (MHS) cannot ensure the confidentiality of email messages. No clinical services and responses to clinical inquiries will be addressed through email and students are encouraged to use their “Student Health Center’s Patient Portal.” Please note that email as well as the portal are only monitored during work day/hours.

Call the front desk at 225-578-8774 as soon as possible after you become aware that you cannot come to your appointment.  You may leave a message on the voicemail of you are calling outside of business hours.  To avoid a fee, you are encouraged to call at least 24 hours before your scheduled meeting. The "No Show or Late Cancellation" for a appointment with a mental health counselor is $20

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents

You can encourage your student to call us at 225-578-8774 to set up an Initial Consultation appointment. Initial Consultation appointments can also be made in person. Your student can stop by the clinic and speak with our office staff to set the Consultation appointment.

In case of an emergency, a crisis counselor is available during SHC hours. If there is an emergency after hours please call LSU Police at 225-578-3231 or dial 911. We do not have the authority to mandate that any student seek our services, and we cannot solicit individuals to seek counseling.

Students over the age of 18 must sign a release of information before mental health professionals can discuss confidential information such as attendance and treatment progress. If you want information about a student’s therapy, we suggest you speak with that student directly, or ask them to sign a release of information. Proper authorities will be contacted if a student appears in danger of harm to self or others.

LSU CARES is a University initiative dedicated to the well-being of students and promotion of a community that cares about each of its members. To learn more or to report a student of concern, please contact LSU CARES at 225 578-4307.

Low motivation, weight loss, weight gain, insomnia, fatigue, low energy, low self-esteem, feeling hopeless, poor concentration, guilt, indecisiveness, mood swings, thoughts and/or attempts of self-harm, abrupt changes in normal behavior.

Apprehensions, obsessions, worries, fear of losing control, fear of dying, dissociative responses, shortness of breath, increased heart rate, chills, chest pains or discomfort, smothering sensations, trembling or shaking, nausea or abdominal distresses, numbness, agoraphobia.

Eating behaviors that are different from friends and family such as: panic about gaining weight, feeling fat even though thin, menstrual periods that do not occur regularly, daily obsessions about food, loss of 15% or more of ideal body weight, uncontrollable binges of eating large amounts of food, a habit of vomiting after eating, using laxatives to control weight, playing games with food and food rituals, believing that diet books and calorie counting are overly important, feeling guilty about eating food, fasting to control weight, wanting to be the thinnest person among friends, taking diet pills to control weight, and lying about eating.

Eating Disorders Treatment Team Brochure

You can contact the Case Manager at 225-578-5718 who can provide names of clinicians in the community whose offices are near LSU.