Happy Award Honors Outstanding Contributions to Service-Learning
February 1, 2023.
BATON ROUGE, LA --The Center for Community Engagement, Learning, and Leadership (CCELL) is pleased to announce the ten recipients of the 2022-2023 Happy Awards. Collectively, these faculty/staff, students and community partners represent the highest ideals of reciprocal service-learning partnerships.
The award ceremony will be held Thursday, February 16, 2023, at Barnes & Noble at LSU in the 2nd-floor event room, located at 2 Union Square, from 5:30-6:45 p.m.
The honorees are:
- Dr. Jennifer Baumgartner, Associate Professor, LSU School of Education, College of Human Sciences and Education
- Renée Boutte Myer, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Inclusion & Civic Engagement, College of Human Sciences and Education
- Dr. Oliver Crocco, Assistant Professor, LSU School of Leadership and Human Resource Development, College of Human Sciences and Education
- Justin Martin, Graduate student, LSU Department of History, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Angel Puder, Spring 2023 Engaged Citizen Program candidate, LSU Political Science and African & African American Studies senior, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Cindy Seghers, Director of Career Development, LSU Ogden Honors College
- Sam Sheppard, Carmen Sims, and Sandy Robinson, Franklin Parish Economic Development
- Phillip St. Cyr, Youth City Lab Youth Council Coordinator, Front Yard Bikes
- Joennis Reyes, LSU Biological Engineering junior, College of Engineering
- Kelli Webber, Associate Registrar for Courses and Curricula, LSU Office of the University Registrar
“It is wonderful to see long-time practitioners of service-learning on campus, innovators in the field, steadfast community partners, and dynamic and engaged students honored with a ‘Happy’ this year,” said CCELL Director Dr. Sarah Becker.
Happy Awards are given annually to ten individuals to recognize excellence in service-learning. CCELL initiated The "Happy" to commemorate former director Jan Shoemaker's ten years of distinguished service, commitment to educate and provide service for the common good. Happy Award recipients receive a commemorative lapel pin, which was designed by service-learning students based on input from Shoemaker's friends and colleagues. Award recipients can be faculty, students, and community partners. The nomination period occurs every fall.
Taylor Armer, Program Manager
Center for Community Engagement, Learning, and Leadership